Friday, October 21, 2005

Regression



Regression is the creation of a model that predicts dependent variables from independent ones. We have been doing a lot of linear regression, assuming that there is a linear relationship between all of the variables involved. This is a trend that I see in other works as well. When a relationship is not linear, there are sometimes techniques to transform the variables into a form that is linear.

Nonlinear regression is not as strictly guided as is linear. It requires that the analyst look for a number of different patterns and equations that could fit the data.

Regression is also something that hypnotists do to take a subject into their past and examine a situation that has been forgotten or obscured. When I was a teenager, hypnosis was all the rage. I have not seen or heard anything of it in years. I am not at all certain that it still exists in a credible form. There was a time when people were hypnotized and claimed to recall their past lives. On the surface this looks cool, but you have examine what is really happening here. Is hypnosis really any different than sleeping? If it is similar that perhaps what we are discovering is a semi-conscious dream. I have dreamed a lot of things and very seldom expected any of it to be a true reflection of reality.

Regression is something that people do themselves when they fall back or retreat back to a previous state. They lose or give up some capability – returning to a child-like state or just forgetting a new task they have learned. My daughter regresses in her violin skills occasionally.

I am writing along and I digress in topic, take myself from one point to another until I am away from the original subject. If I regress while writing, does that mean that I fall back and write the same thing over again? Does it mean that I fall back and write the same things over again? I am digressing from the original regression. What is digressive regression or regressive digression?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home